Encouraging employees to bike is part education, part culture, and part infrastructure. Your PACE advisor is available to give trainings and presentations on how to motivate employees and create the right conditions at the office for a successful bike commuting program like adding bike storage or showers. Boulder County offers up to four free bike racks per business. Fill out this bike rack request form to get started,
Eligible Organizations: when installed indoor or outdoor on private property or installed in the public right of way by one of these entities:
- Multifamily: 5+ units
- Nonprofits, including places of worship
- Private schools
Eligible for advising on site placement but not eligible for racks:
- Public schools
- New construction or major renovations, as defined by PACE criteria
Racks on public sidewalks:
- Some municipalities manage racks in the public right of way (sidewalks) themselves and do not allow businesses to businesses to install their own racks. In that case, you may request a rack from your municipality but may not be able to install your own rack, or one provided by Boulder County. Other municipalities allow businesses to install their own racks, or racks provided by Boulder County, in the right of way.
Availability: Boulder County has a limited number of bike racks to offer. They are available on a first come, first serve basis and the total number offered per business may be less than the number requested.
- When demand is greater than supply, the total number of racks will apportioned to the City of Boulder, the City of Longmont, and other areas of the county, roughly matching the population distribution.
- Additional bike racks provided by cities and towns will be added on top of the allocations of county bike racks.
Degree of benefit: Boulder County reserves the right to limit the number of bike racks offered to less than four at the sole determination of county staff based on potential benefit, usage and other eligibility criteria.
Suitability: There must be suitable space to install the bike racks following the Boulder County Multimodal Standards for Bike Parking.
- Racks must be installed in a hard surface such as concrete or asphalt to ensure permanence. Concrete footers may be added to grass, gravel, or landscaped locations.
Requested Number: Subject to the criteria above, a business may receive the number of racks requested, up to 4 racks.
- Property owners may receive up to 4 bike racks per tenant business that will utilize the racks.
- Additional bike racks may be purchased by the business and PACE can provide a list of vendors.
Don’t forget to complete the bike rack request form!